Hana is still in need of placement. She is 9.5 weeks old, a beautiful little brindle girl, and has a really neat personality. She is spunky and sassy but very sweet and eager to please. She will be on the smaller size range end for female hokkaido. She is crate trained for overnights, has her microchip, 1st vaccine and several dewormings, her eye exam certification, and will be placed with a spay contract as she has a small hernia that can be fixed easily during her spay. Her placement fee will therefore be reduced to $2500. I will ship for the right home (figure an extra $300). She will make a loving sweet family pet and be a fun portable girl for hikes and traveling. Send interest emails to email@example.com
Arashi update: She is in a great cooperative breeding home with an experienced breeder, as she is a CEA carrier and will be a benefit to improving the health of the population in the US. Fingers crossed that she matures well and grows out of her puppy uglies!
Currently, I have one puppy left: 9 week old brindle bean Hana. She is a peanut and extremely sweet but also sassy (she must have been taking notes from her Shiba auntie Farrah). Please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about her placement.
Updates on my adult dogs: Ashi is doing well in his permanent home in Seattle area, and his friend Kurasi will soon be spayed and heading to the great north for a long awaited reunion. She has been such an excellent mom and sweet quirky girl, I don’t have any complaints about her and will be sad to see her leave, but know she is going into great hands.
There will be some exciting additions to Lindsay’s Hokkaido Hut in the near future from far away lands, and any one who had expressed interest in co-owning or having an import dog for breed preservation, please contact me for details. I’m so excited and honored to be involved with breed development.
*EDIT: Arashi has been placed. There is now a brindle female named Hana who is available and is 8 weeks old. She is ready for placement as of 10/28/2018*
……Posting below is expired as of 10/27/2018……
This little girl is Arashi (Arashi go Hokusei Kashinoki) and is from the Umma x Ashi litter. She is about 11 weeks old and available to a Washington/Oregon home on a co-ownership with some additional requirements. She is a very special girl in that she is not affected by CEA and there aren’t many of those in the US, so we want her good genes and temperament to be used to help increase the number of healthy Hokkaido.
She is early leash trained, crate trained, has some clicker training, is vaccinated, microchipped and well socialized, with a very stable personality and promising temperament. She has potty training basics down and is great overnight, but as is typical for my Hokkaido, has the puppy excitement pee pees and will grow out of that. She also likes to vocalize as Hokkaido do.
She does well with adults and children and plays nicely with the other pets in the home. She’s always up to try new things and meet new people and is the first to take on new challenges such as meeting strangers and taking treats. She enjoys pets and is a good girl for grooming. Car rides are no big deal for her and she will be a great adventure dog for beach trips, hikes, lap snuggles, and possibly even performance or sports.
Lastly, Arashi has an amazing dark coat pattern with brindle points (not common at all) and it’s rather stunning in good light. Interested homes should email email@example.com and describe in detail their home environment and lifestyle. It is preferable that applicants have fenced yards and don’t work long hours outside the home.
I have 2 female Hokkaido puppies available, one is a Black and Tan 7 week old, and the other is 10 weeks old, and black with brindle points. The black/brindle girl will need to go to a cooperative home locally in the Northwest who will keep her intact so I may later use her for breeding/breed preservation as she is a CEA carrier.
I prefer a local home for the Black and Tan girl as well, but will allow shipping for her. She will be placed on a spay agreement.
Both parents are health tested and genetically screened. Both girls have are healthy and will come with microchips, 1st vaccines, deworming, 30 days free pet insurance, ophthalmologist exams, 1 year membership to HANA (Hokkaido Association of North America) and suitable supplies.
$500 application fee will be required once determined to be a suitable home (local, agreeable to a contract, preferably experienced with Japanese breeds). Please direct inquiries to my email at firstname.lastname@example.org
This will be my last Hokkaido breeding for the next 2 years, so plan accordingly.
Good news! Sharing puppy updates via Umma’s blog Puppy Countdown Has Begun!
August 7th is the due date, puppies from our Umma and the nice red import boy Ashitaka. Exciting times in the Hokkaido Haus. This is the 3rd Hokkaido litter for Hokusei Kashinoki and we will be doing AKC-FSS recording until Ashi’s Nippo papers can be sorted out.
Litter number 3 on the way for Hokusei Kashinoki (my Hokkaido breeding program)!
Happy to announce that Umma was bred earlier to Ashitaka and ultrasound shows 6 healthy heartbeats. Although it’s early, I’m really excited to see this litter as it’s a great match and there is potential for CEA carriers (which is needed as there are too many affecteds) as Umma is a carrier (she also has excellent hips). Gene swabs for eye testing are ready to go and we will also of course do the genetic eye screens at the ophthalmologist.
I know this litter will be doted on and I’m extremely excited to go through this process with Umma’s amazing family as this will be their first whelping experience. All hands on deck! Eager to start planning for puppy parties this summer. Depending on what is born, I will also have a couple spots open on this waitlist for reservations.
Please email me at email@example.com for inquiries about my waitlist process.
I have my next 3-4 breedings planned and am screening for a few more spots for 2018, and curating an interest list for 2019. I get dozens of inquiries each week but very few are suitable to join my extended hokkaido family. I also don’t take deposits far in advance. I need dedicated homes who are understanding of the culture Hokkaido come from, who are interested in learning about and discussing the breed, with the appropriate physical means to care for these dogs. That includes:
- Stable housing, preferably local.
- Relevent dog experience or desire to go through the paces and visit my dogs multiple times for new dog owner education.
- Access to yard/parks for potty and exercise.
- Ability to hire a dog sitter/walker/dog daycare if working away from the home where the puppy would otherwise be confined for greater than 4 hour stretches of time on a ROUTINE basis, ie, if you work 8 hour days 5 days a week, you’ll need to get breaks for your puppy somehow for potty, exercise, and socialization.
- Must take puppy classes before puppy hits the 12 week mark, and an additional set of higher level general training class that is not specifically for puppies.
- Pet insurance: must be able to pay for monthly pet insurance, or set up a pet savings account for emergencies.
- Spay/Neuter: I place all of my dogs on conditional contracts and some puppies will be required to be kept intact until physical maturity to determine suitability for breeding. This is a preservation effort and my breedings are geared towards that, so some homes I give greater preference too if they are willing to co-own and make their dog available to me later on for breeding if it’s determined that pet is of good physical and mental quality to assist in preservation.
- Engagement: I want to know a potential home values their Hokkaido by demonstrating how well they will take care of it, and not just wanting one to be an ornament or status symbol. Things like hikes, camping, sleeping with the family, road trips, classes together, going to the beach etc are all things a Hokkaido would love to do and those are plans I like to see potential families make for their puppies.
Here is my line up of potential breedings:
- Summer 2018: Kurasi x Import
- Summer 2018: Umma x Ashi
- 2019: Umma x Import?
- 2019: Miki x frozen sperm from Genji or Teddy depending on Miki’s health checks. Here is an updated photo of one of the most easy going Hokkaido boys I know, Teddy (Yukar go Hokusei Kashinoki):
Teddy is a certified office dog and lives in a townhouse in Seattle with his best human pal. They walk to work together and he has a pretty decent range of tricks by all accounts. He’s a very good boy! Teddy had preliminary hip X-rays and OFAs about 1 year ago and they indicated possibly mild hip dysplagia. He has everything else I want for Miki but it will depend on how her hips turn out later this year.
Please submit an application request to firstname.lastname@example.org and introduce yourself. A “refundable at my discretion deposit” will be required once an application has been approved.